Skip to main content Skip to footer

Variance Applications

Sometimes, following the rules in the Zoning Code can be tricky because of special situations. For instance, a piece of land might have a weird shape, old buildings might be too close to each other, or there could be a land use that's been around for a long time but doesn't fit the current rules. In such cases, you can submit an application to the Planning and Zoning Commission to review things and decide if exceptions or changes are okay.

A common example is asking for permission to have a taller fence if nearby properties are causing issues. Another example could be someone who owns a small business building in a neighborhood asking if they can keep using it as an office or a store with low traffic.

If you think you need special permission for a unique situation, it's a good idea to talk to the staff. They can help you explore options that might not require special permission. The staff is always happy to assist and find a way for people to do what they want, as long as it doesn't create problems for others or the neighborhood.