Skip to main content Skip to footer

New to Mt. Vernon

Welcome to Mt. Vernon!

We are so glad you made Mt. Vernon your new home! Below is some information and links that could help make your transition to the community a little easier. Also, check out our Welcome Packet, it is your complete guide to finding schools, health care providers and more.

Electrical Aggregation

The city of Mt. Vernon participates in an electric aggregation program. Homefield Energy is the current electric supplier with a rate of $0.08473 per kWh.

Emergency Services

Make sure that you are familiar with the Mt. Vernon Fire Department and the Mt. Vernon Police Department and the services they provide our community.


Enjoy the outdoors by visiting one of our many parks, stroll the grounds of Cedarhurst and the historical village, or take a short drive to one of the nearby lakes.

Getting Around

Need a ride? Visit our transportation page to see how to get around town.

Home and Property

Learn how to apply for water service and how to apply for permits if you are undertaking a building project in your new home.


During spring and summer, representatives from other companies may start going door to door to get residents to switch suppliers. Any solicitor who comes to your door or calls asking you to switch to a new supplier is not associated with the city. Please remember to never give out any account information to solicitors who say they represent the city.

Solicitors must adhere to the following guidelines:

  • All solicitors must have a city-issued permit.
  • Must carry and display their permit
  • Must obey posted "No Soliciting" signs. 
  • Must leave when requested
  • May ring the doorbell, knock upon or near a door, or otherwise attempt to engage with residents for soliciting between the hours of 9 a.m. and 6 p.m.

If they do not have a permit or it is after dusk, please call the Police Department non-emergency number at 618-242-2727. The city cannot deny a permit without valid cause and written complaints from residents.